The Elcano Galaxy, also known as NGC 556, is a Hubble Type "S0" Spiral Galaxy, located in Herschel Space, in the Constellation of Pisces as seen from Earth. It was discovered by Lewis A. Swift on the 1st September 1886 for Humanity. It is located at 331.3 Million light years from Earth.
The Galaxy space belongs to different Lewis Nations. Most of it is divided between two nation: the Empire of Mankind and the United Alliance. To a much lesser extend, the Intergalactic Federation dominates about a seventh of the Galaxy, a small area known as the Elcano Federal sector in the Outer Rim.
The name was taken from the famous Basque-Spanish Explorer "Juan Sebastián Elcano", the first man to circumnavigate the Globe, and substitute Magellan after he died in the Philippines in the 16th century after an attack from local tribes. Elcano was the Second on board in the Expedition and after Magellan's death, he took control over as the Captain, sailing from the Philippines to Spain, touring around South east Asia, India, West Africa, Southern Africa and the Guinea Gulf before finally reaching Europe. The Expedition made him a rich man for the rest of his live. He was sent on several mission afterwards as an expert sailor. And much later, was sent on a second mission to circumnavigate the globe dying in the coast of India.
Exploration of the Galaxy began from the Lewis Galaxy by Imperial Scientists but the curiosity and investigation of it was carried from a far distance. When other Lewis Nations where born and started their own Space Programs, they also looked and investigate the galaxy from afar. It wasn't until 112 009 CE that the First serious exploration of the Galaxy took place by Imperial efforts. Several probes were sent to the Galaxy to collect information. In 112,103 CE, the United Alliance also join actively the exploration of the Galaxy sending its own probes to other areas unexplored by Imperial Scientists.
Soon, the race to claim this Galaxy between both nations began. The Empire sent its first tripulated vessels to the system in 112,199 CE and landed in several planets, claiming ownership of vast areas of the Elcano Galaxy for the Empire, before coming back. The United Alliance, in 112,221 CE launched its own tripulated mission, and claimed a vast area of the Galaxy as well.
The Intergalactic Federation makes its first appearance by 112,228 CE, sending investigation probes from a nearby galaxy. Soon after in 112,234CE, the U.A send its first colonization Ship, landing in Planet Fildias, and founding the first effective human colony in the Elcano Galaxy. By 112,238 CE, the Empire sent its colony ships founding Sobek. By 112,240 CE the Intergalactic Federation had send their own tripulated vessels to the Galaxy and by 112,264, colony ships settled planet Hermes in the border with the Outer Rim, and expanded illegally over a small nearby area who was claimed by the Empire and the U.A. Hermes soon became among the most populated planets in the Galaxy due to the I.F having control over a small concentrated space flocked by Federal settlers.
In 112,455 CE, A summit between the U.A, the Empire and the I.F took place on the Moon of Eia, to set the borders of the Elcano Galaxy between these Nations. The Outer Rim arm was given to the I.F (14% of the Galaxy), while the rest of the Galaxy was equally splitted between the Empire and the United Alliance (with 43% for each).
The Galaxy has 4 arms and a core:
- Vedana Arm: It's divided between the Inner Vedana Arm, the Central Vedana Arm and the Outer Vedana Arm. The later has a low density of population and its populated worlds are scattered, with early colonies and new areas of settlement. No mayor civilizations have been found here (except for the primitive world of Awoh) still there are some Wormhole portals and two hyperspace lane, indicating that the Jeket used this area as a travel departure point to other galaxies The Central Vedana and Inner Vedana show less Jeket influence and lie mostly inside the United Alliance territory. Some of the most important and populated worlds within the Galaxy lie here. The most notable is Fildias, followed by Plegaria (both in the Inner Vedana Arm)
- Chrysos Arm: Its the most populated and the one with the highest human density. It is divided between the Inner Chrysos Arm and the Outer Chrysos Arm, although technically a Central Chrysos Arm is sometimes also depicted. Most of this Inner Chrysos Arm is in hands of the Empire of Mankind, with the tip of it, belonging to the Intergalactic Federation, and where Hermes, the main world of this nation lies. The Outer Chrysos Arm is in hands of the Intergalactic Federation, and its population is scattered all over with no major population center. Still an important Federal Military based is here with most settlers being miners, gas extractors, government workers and officials, or farmers. The inner arm has some of the most populated worlds in the Empire of Mankind, with Sobek and Odrunn.
- Idunn Arm: Is the longest and largest galactic arm. It is divided into the Inner Idunn Arm, the Mid Idunn Arm (in turn divided between the Mid Internal Idunn arm and the Mid External Idunn Arm, having the later way less importance and population density) and the Outer Idunn Arm. Some important worlds can be found here, such as Amon, Khepri or Tekorka, as well as the Wormhole gate located on the planet Diron. This Arm is as well the home of the only large Alien nation in the Empire, the Korkas, which live and originated here. Most of the arm is in the United Alliance territory, while the inner worlds of the galaxy, towards the core, are located in the Empire of Mankind. The Outer arm is a refuge for syndicate criminals, runaways and other undesirables. As lands of the frontier they are considered dangerous. Shartandra is pretty much considered the center of crime in the Galaxy.
- Carabela Arm: This Arm is rather a diffuse an dispersed arm, on the outskirts of the galaxy. It is highly unpopulated and has become a destiny for Imperial colonist. Some primitive worlds can be found, such as Un Yozza. The area is considered mostly empty with very few colonies, although well populated. Many runaways and syndicates take refuge here.
- The Core: Its the center of the galaxy and its mostly under control of the Empire of Mankind. Some well populated planets as well as hyperspace lanes are located here.
According to the borders established by the treaty of the Moon of Eia, the political division of the galaxy is as followed:
- The Empire of Mankind: It takes around 43% of the Galaxy as it was established by the Moon of Eia treaty. Its largest worlds are Sobek, Odrunn and Amon. Some other important planets are the Egyptian Group of Planets (Sobek, Neftis, Anuket, Jnum, Serket, Atum, Satis, Jonsu, Maat, Neit, Tefnut, Min, Geb and Shu), the Big Four Planets (Amon, Khepri, Bastet and Telopis), the Nordic Group of Planets (Odrunn, Sifnir, Mimir, Buri and Heimdall with Herm sometimes included) the Latin Group of Planets (Parkae, Agripina, Nereida and Lima) and the planets who don't belong to any of this groups, informally named as the Isolated Group of Planets (Aren, Uzen, Arkaia, Rithra, Pan, Eia and Horakai). Some are important such as Dangun and Sortis due to their Wormhole gates. Three Wormhole gates have been built or made operative in the most important worlds of the Empire in the Galaxy and two are added in the borders so to allow intergalactic Travel, connecting the Elcano Galaxy with the rest of the Universe, the Galaxies and the Nation. The Latin Group, the Egyptian Group, and Arkaia have the largest populations density of the Empire of Mankind in the Elcano Galaxy. Sobek is the official administrative capital of the region, the first world settled by the Empire (and by humanity) in the Elcano Galaxy, as well as the most populated world in imperial territory.
- The United Alliance: Its takes around 43% of the Galaxy as established by the Moon of Eia treaty. The largest worlds here are Fildias and Plegaria. The Administrative capital and the most important is the world of Fildias. It is as well the one with the largest population, closely followed by Plegaria (this planet is the homeworld of the famous Lisa Martinez, explorer and scientist of the U.A), and the first colony of the United Alliance. The Nation main population in this galaxy is located in the Inner and Central Vedana Arms. Some of the most important worlds, include The Nefris Group of Planets (Monthus, Numantia, Takadorias, Haldain, Arandar, Siberia, Lauken, Akederis and Olga), name after the Hyperspace lanes in which they are located in the Central and Outer Arms of the Vedana and Idrunn arms; The Prosperous Worlds (Plegaria, Itheren, Thalon, Oseon, Sira, Homun, Sannis and sometimes Odris), named after its boyant economy and its boosting population, production and growth; The Capital Cluster (includes the worlds of Fildias, Roshar, Kildik, Terediris, Bochum, Yamato, Eia and sometimes Orbis) and the Korkas Planet Group (Tekorka, Okkarka, Ekate, Sarka, Rakon, Karteka, Seleka, Makork, Utakate, Akanan, Tokkun and Keika). However the highest concentration of planets in population and economic relevance are the Capital, some of the worlds of the Capital Cluster, All of the Prosperous Worlds group and partially, some of the Nefris Group of Planets.
- The Intergalactic Federation It takes around 14% of the Galaxy according to the treaty of the Moon of Eia. All intergalactic territory is part of the Canton of Delta, the administrative body inside the Human Federal Space Nation. The largest world, in the I.F territory as well as the first colony they established in the Galaxy is the Planet Hermes. Its the most populated and important, with a high concentration and density, it is considered to be the most populated in the Elcano Galaxy. The Planets are set in the Federal Group of Planets (Which includes the Capital, Hermes, Alakra, Gades, Danzig, Hyra and Sirumal), the Outer Nebula group of Planets (Balhae, Lotharin, Iken y Shash) and the Two Far Worlds (Delta and Faunus). The World of Delta is highly populated and militarized, while Faunus is rather rural. The Highest densities are located in the Federal group. The Most populated and important Worlds are Hermes, Alakra, Hyra, Gades, Danzig, Lotharin, Delta, Iken and Balhae.
- The Korkas Nation: Its the mayor alien nation within the Elcano Galaxy, to which they are native. The Korkas have fully integrated into the United Alliance, and although maintain some degree of self-government, they are free to relocate to other worlds. Many Korkas can be found in many world outside the Korkas nation, all over U.A territory, such as Plegaria or Fildias. The Most important world and one of the most populated is Tekorka.
- Primitive Worlds: There are four primitive worlds. These are Un Yozza and W'iin (in Imperial territory) and the Awoh and Ejheen in United Alliance territory).
Due to Administration and Navigation Charts, the Galaxy is divided in several quadrants:
- The Alba Quadrant: It's by far the most populated and with the highest density, engulfing most of the important worlds not only of the Empire but of the Intergalactic Federation in the Galaxy. Its also home to most of the remnants of the Jeket Civilization. Its considered highly developed and civilized. Travel and commerce in the region are safe and a daily routine.
- The Erica Quadrant: Its the second most populated, and with the Alba Quadrant, they distance themselves largely from the rest of quadrants. It is mostly located in the United Alliance, engulfing most of its crucial and most populated worlds. Travel and commerce are also safe.
- The Korkas Quadrant: Its a special quadrant that belongs entirely to the Korkas, and has the roughly the same extension of the Korkas Nation and is mostly inhabited by them. The Commerce is intence and is safe to travel, although other races may be intimidated to go far inland into the Quadrant, and prefer to remain outside or in the Capital.
- The Muriel Quadrant: Its the largest quadrant in terms of territory. Most of its territory belongs to the Intergalactic Federation and the United Alliance. The borders of the Quadrant with the Alba and Erica Quadrants are well populated, prosperous and safe. This areas benefit greatly in terms of population and economic trade with the other quadrants. Other worlds, located further inland or at the outside border struggle more with commerce with the inner core, and the planets are home to bandits and some illegal activity. Still, its well connected and is considered the safest of the "Outer" quadrants.
- The Pandora Quadrant: Its divided between the Empire of Mankind and the United Alliance, but most of it belongs to the later. Most of the quadrant is sparsely populated and is home to a wave of settlers from the core or other galaxies. Still, travelling in it is considered unsafe, since its the most dangerous of the quadrants in the Entire Galaxy. Shatandra is known for its criminality and to be the home of the Farshlag syndicate in Elcano. The area next to the Korkas Quadrant and the Erica Quadrant, up to the Horbis Strait, is more populated and peaceful, with large amount of well populated and safe planets.
- The Isabella Quadrant: Its entirely located on Imperial territory. Most of it is sparsely populated and uncivilized, home for expansion by settlers from the core other Galaxies. It is the second most dangerous quadrant of the Galaxy and many concentrate themselves on few well populated worlds. The Flagshlag uses this quadrant to smuggle illegal clone slaves from the nearby Pandora Quadrant. The area is less diverse than the is Pandora neighbor. Most inhabitants are farmers, miners, factory workers and criminals of many sort. The Quadrant has two wormhole gates, one in Sortis and one in Dangun.
- The Korkas Nation
The Korkas are the only native intelligent species to remain in the Elcano Galaxy. They are located within the United Alliance Space of the Galaxy. After some negotiation, they have been integrated into the U.A. They are a peaceful sophisticated nation. Although very old, they reproduce at a very slow rate, what has limited their expansion into the Galaxy. Nevertheless, their lives are also quite long as well.
- The Ejheen
Native to the planet of the same name, the Ejheen inhabit a frozen world. They live in Cities underground with small settlements above. The Planet is full of undercaves and life forms. The Ejheen are in an early industrial age.
- The W'iin
This species is native to a waterworld known W'iin as well, they live on a nuclear age, with large cities and nation states. They have been largely ignored by the Empire, who has engulfed their territory nearby. Empire officers have a no intervention policy onto them.
- The Awoh
Inhabitants of the planet Awoh from which they take their name. Its a tropical planet, with humid conditions and large vegetation areas. The Awoh are somehow primitive but very much studied from afar. Some experts think they will be ready for space colonization in less than 10 000 years.
- The Yozza
They inhabits the planet Un Yozza, a desertic-arid world. They have a primitive culture on a medieval stage of evolution, based on nation states that battled among them constantly.
The Galaxy was home of a very advanced race, called the Jeket. They inhabited most of what is today the Imperial Space of the Galaxy. They settled several worlds before going extinct after an event that is still under investigation, related to the released of a mortal sickness released to avoid slavery and wipe out their enemies.
The Jeket were a very mysterious race that used ritual sacrifices to a myriad of gods. They seem to have been a very theocratic nation that existed somewhere between 3,500,000 BC and 1,600,000 Bc. They seem to have gone through a War against some other Extragalactic Nation that they called the "Ojket". It has been theorized that they were taken as slaves by them or destroyed. Other think that their religious practices were the cause of their downfall, joined by the war against these extragalactic beings. The Ojket seem to have been what is known to Lewisians as the Vemex Civilization.